To be honest, I’m not really a big fan of making (or keeping) new year’s resolutions. I find the association of January 1st with the start of diet restrictions, general life impediments, and the overall denial of anything even remotely fun to be…well…a total bummer. That being said, I have decided to compile a list of food related resolutions for 2010 with the understanding that each goal be fun and/or educational. So here it goes:
- Include Michael Pollan’s idea of Meatless Mondays into my family’s eating habits. As Michael points out, you can do the planet and yourself a huge favour by skipping meat just one day a week.
- Make the monthly cover recipe of Bon Appettit Magazine for the entire year (and blog about my experiences). This resolution is inspired by a New York restaurant owner, who has been making the magazine’s cover recipes each month for 25 years!
- Review Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. I’m embarrased to admit that I have never attempted any of this culinary icon’s recipes. Let 2010 be the year that I overcome my intimidation…
- Attempt to make ice cream for the first time ever!
- Go on a cooking vacation
- Interview Jamie Oliver
- Find the PERFECT chocolate chip cookie recipe
- Beat my friend Crystal in our family’s annual crepe off!
- Update my family cookbook and print one hard copy to keep on my VIP kitchen shelf
- Shop more frequently at our local farmers markets
Are you making any new year’s resolutions? Feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your goals…I’d love to hear what’s on your list!
Happy New Year!