Muffin Monday: Granola Muffins

A little background: this recipe was chosen by Baker Street’s Anuradha as the yin to last week’s Cream Cheese Muffins’ yang. Balance. Unfortunately I missed out on the sinfulness of last week (nope not bitter at all, can you tell?!) but as a lover of granola I was excited to try this recipe.

Developed by cookbook author Martha Rose Shulman, these Granola Muffins exemplify Martha’s dedication to healthy cuisine. The recipe came together easily, and I love how it calls for soaking the granola in milk for 30 minutes prior to mixing with the other ingredients. The result was a nice, soft consistency that allowed the granola to blend seamlessly with the muffin batter. That being said, next time I would definitely add some dry granola for extra crunch as I found it got lost.

Now I should mention that my family has decided to give our bodies a bit of a vacation from gluten for a while. My eldest daughter was allergic when she was a baby, and while she can now tolerate gluten she still tends to be sensitive to its consumption. So you’ll have to bear with me as I fumble my way through Muffin Mondays as this will be a learning experience for me! If any of you have some tips or advice re. adapting baking recipes to be gluten-free I would LOVE to hear from you.

This time around I ended up using a gluten-free flour mix. I decided to simply use the same 1 cup amount as called for with the whole wheat flour, and it worked well. The consistency was quite runny but when I pulled the muffins out of the oven they were perfect. I was afraid they might be too dry and thought about adding apple sauce for moisture, but because the batter was already so runny I left it out. Thankfully they turned out super moist and were not too crumbly either (an issue I often find with gluten-free baked goods). I also added orange zest and opted to use apple juice infused dried cranberries instead of raisins. The classic combination of orange and cranberry were divine. NOTE: because the flour mix already contained baking powder and baking soda I did not add extra.

For a copy of the recipe for Granola Muffins, please click here

18 comments on “Muffin Monday: Granola Muffins

Orange zest and dried cranberries! Perfect! Aren’t these muffins just delicious?! The recipe is a keeper. Surely making them soon. :)

Yes! I will definitely be making these again!

3. Alan Cooke on said:

Well done fellow granola lover :) Don’t have much experience with gluten free, but I’m glad your muffins turned out nice despite the runny consistency going in! They look yum.

Thanks – there was definitely a moment of panic as I put them in the oven 😉

5. Elizabeth Q on said:

Wow, what marvelous Muffins! I feel like peeling off the wrapper and just eating it all up. Glad to bake along with you this week!

6. Cranberry and orange, how tasty! I thought about the crunch part too (and how much I like it) so ended up adding dry granola on top. Your gluten-free version looks really good, I really should try going gluten free one of these days.

7. carolineadobo on said:

orange zest and cranberries makes a great substitute for raisins. So glad you could join this week. I have not much experience with gluten-free baking and hope to learn along with you.

Good to bake with you too Elizabeth! Don’t you just love Muffin Mondays?!

Maya – I think a crunchy granola topping would be amazing with these muffins (great minds think alike!)

Thanks for your comment Caroline – I will be sure to share anything I learn about adapting recipes to be gluten-free. I will DEFINITELY be calling upon my gluten-free contributing writer Andrea for some advice :)

11. Your muffins are perfect and I will copy you on the gluten-free flour mix.

12. Nice baking with you. Looks like we used the same granola :)

13. Elena @3greenOnions on said:

wow, gluten free:) everyone’s taking such healthy routes, even with a healthy muffin! I’ll miss the next 2 Mondays but I’ll sure make up when I’m back!:)

Thanks Annapet! Oh and I will definitely check @TheSpicyRD…hopefully she can provide some guidance for adapting baking recipes and making them GF!

Wasn’t that granola good Bianca?! I ate two bowls later that night for dinner :)

We will miss you Elena but look forward to baking with you again soon!

17. You muffins look lovely! Love muffin Monday because I can meet new beautiful food bloggers! I am learning about gluten free and vegan dishes, excited to enjoy your gluten free recipes! Hugs, Terra

Thanks for your comment Terra! I look forward to (virtually) baking with you again :)