Muffin Monday: Jam Filled Muffins

First of all, I need to thank all of the folks who sent me info and advice on adapting baking recipes to become gluten-free masterpieces. THANK YOU! As I mentioned in my previous post, my family is taking a vacation from gluten for a while due to my eldest daughter’s sensitivity. In particular, I would like to give a shout out to CookThatBook’s gluten-free contributing writer Andrea Savarad, and personal nutritionist EA Stewart (be sure to check out her website Spicy RD).

With help from the above mentioned folks, I dived into making my own gluten-free muffin mix. The beauty of gluten-free baking is that you aren’t limited to just one type of flour, and I have to admit that I am really enjoying trying different combinations and getting to know the various flavour profiles of each flour. Once you stock your cupboards with your own mix of gluten-free flours, life (a.k.a. baking) becomes much easier.

For this recipe I opted to use oat flour (100 g), brown rice flour (150 g), and cornstarch (60 g). I also added an extra egg yolk to help bind the flours together. Wanna know the best part? With the lack of gluten there is no need to worry about over mixing the batter. NOTE: oats can be problematic for gluten-free folks due to the possibility of contamination from other grains during processing, as well as a particular protein found in oats that closely resembles wheat gluten.

So how did the muffins turn out?

Very nice indeed!

The addition of raspberry jam was a nice treat, and to compliment the tasty interior I added fresh raspberries and almond slivers to the top prior to baking. In the end the topping sunk a bit more than anticipated but they still tasted wonderful.

For a copy of the recipe for Jam Filled Muffins, please click here

For other great recipes using rice flour, check out the list on Baker Street’s site…fantastic group of bloggers & some terrific looking recipes!

18 comments on “Muffin Monday: Jam Filled Muffins

Very well adapted. Love using rice flour. Your muffins look great.

You can also add this to our rice blog hop. http://bakerstreet.tv/2011/09/03/blog-hop-cardamom-tea-cake/

2. Food: Je t'Aimée on said:

Ahhh, look at those luscious raspberries! They’re so perfect! And I love how they peek out, once baked.

I’ve been so curious about gluten-free replacements lately, so thanks for sharing this information. I have so many friends who are sensitive to gluten and I’d like to learn how to cook for them!

3. Wow, never heard of rice flour. Glad they still turned out very well. I liked the inclusion of the raspberries!

4. EA-The Spicy RD on said:

Thanks so much for the shout out and happy to help! So glad to hear your first gluten-free muffins were a success. They look delicious! Not sure if you used it, but you can buy certified gluten-free oat flour. Bob’s Red Mill and Cream Hills Estates make it. Good luck with your future gluten-free baking endeavors-looking forward to more of your gluten-free treats!

5. Anita Menon on said:

The muffins look so pretty. Imagine each of us used the same recipe to come up with so many versions. Not a single one resembles the other. I think that’s incredible. Gluten free sounds healthier and I am intrigued by the flavours

Oh I will DEFINITELY add to your rice blog hop…thanks! Your Cardamom Tea Cake is something that I will have to make – it looks amazing!

Thanks Aimee! Gluten sensitivities seem to be so commonplace these days. Luckily there are so many great GF recipes and website to help :)

Thanks for your comment Bianca! It’s interesting because just like whole wheat flour, white and brown rice flours have different tastes/textures. See how much I’m learning?!

I keep hearing that Bob’s Red Mill oat flour is the one that most people seem to like…negative reactions appear to be nil with this brand. Thanks!

I know! That’s the best part about muffin mondays…the variety we all achieve even though we start with the same recipe. Thanks for your comment Anita :)

11. whoohoo for gluten free baking! yay for #muffinmonday and #ricelove bloghop :).

Thanks Junia! Gotta love muffin mondays :)

13. GF flours are not easily found here yet, but I’m inspired by your baking experiments using them. The addition of fresh raspberries on top of the muffins are a brilliant idea too, they make the muffins look more elegant somehow!

Thanks for your sweet comments Maya :)

15. carolineadobo on said:

Glad to have you baking with with us again & I am learning lots about baking gluten-free. I love the added raspberries and almonds you put on top.

16. These look amazing!! Yay for gluten free baking, I’ll bookmark this recipe and bake them for my gluten intolerant clients :)

17. Elizabeth Q on said:

Such great looking delish muffins! Glad to bake along with you this week!

18. Pingback: CookThatBook » Muffin Monday: Carrot Spice Muffins