Muffin Monday: Carrot Spice Muffins

Confession? I almost ended up going gluten for this week’s recipe as I was short on time and feeling stressed about the fact that I was supposed to bring these to a parent/teacher evening and what if they didn’t turn out and people hated them and as a result started this big pro-gluten rally…

That’s how my mind works.

Needless to say I calmed down, re-found some faith in myself and pulled out my gluten-free flours to prepare my mix. And you know what? I am so happy I did because these muffins were incredible! And a huge hit at the parent/teacher evening (in case you were wondering).

For the flour mix I ended up using my quantities from last week’s Jam Filled Muffins; 150g brown rice flour, 60g cornstarch, but instead of oat flour I opted to try 100g coconut flour. Yup – that’s right coconut flour. It’s just as tasty as you think it ought to be.

Because I was adapting this recipe to become gluten-free, I had to make some basic substitutions such as adding 1 tsp xanthan gum (you could also use an extra egg yolk as a thickener), an extra egg, and twice as much applesauce as I found the batter extremely dry. I also baked them at a much lower oven temperature (325F). Then there were the personal choice substitutions; such as crushed pineapple, NO raisins, coconut flakes, and (drum roll please) a cream cheese filling right smack dab in the middle of the muffins. The results? Devine.

For the cream cheese filling I used a recipe I found on Silvana’s Kitchen, and it is so good I’m going to have to try really hard not to add it to all of my future muffins. Basically you whip together cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, egg white and vanilla and layer it between the muffin batter before cooking the whole thing in the oven. Because the filling was baked, it turned out like a nugget of cheese cake tucked inside all warm and oh so satisfying. The taste of the coconut flour really came through, complimenting the coconut flakes and adding a nice dimension to the muffin. The applesauce and pineapple kept everything nice and moist, and the variety of spices were perfectly balanced.

For a copy of the original recipe for Carrot Spice Muffins and to see what the other foodies baked up, please visit Baker Street’s site

For a copy of my gluten-free version, please click here

24 comments on “Muffin Monday: Carrot Spice Muffins

Cream cheese filling! Sinful and delicious! Muffins look delicious.

I know I’m sorry An – totally cheated on the healthy front 😉 But it turned out to be worth all those extra calories!

3. Aimee, there are so many things I like about your variation. First of all, we both used coconut, although mine is in oil form (it was divine!); love the crushed pineapple (I wanted to do that too, but didn’t have any) and you cleverly hid your ‘sinful’ cream cheese inside the muffins! I very rarely bake GF, but since I’ve seen how easily you do it, I want to try your recipe out for next time – plus I have all those flours you mentioned, it’s just plain silly not to!

4. Oh dear, I thought I pressed on Aimee’s blog, then proceeded to make the above comment! I’m so sorry, I meant Jasmine…and my comment still stands, of course ;-).

5. Carrie @ poet in the on said:

Oh, yum–cheesecake in the middle! They sound fantastic! I also put coconut in mine and found it worked well. My daughter would have loved the pineapple in yours. :)

6. Food: Je t'Aimée on said:

Ahhhh…. a nugget of cheesecake tucked inside! Swoon! I love that you went for it with the cream cheese. Mine were certainly delicious, but…

I felt the same way a few weeks ago when I used a cream cheese topping on some muffins: started putting it on everything I possibly could!

Lucky teachers and love that close-up of the batter on your whisk! :)

Yes Aimee – my nugget of cheesecake was definitely swoon worthy :)

Carrie – the coconut just seems like a natural ingredient for this muffin!

No worries Maya…LOL. Next time I would definitely try coconut oil as I really found the coconut flavour a natural fit for this muffin! Love that you’re willing to try baking GF! Let me know how it turns out :)

10. wow babe!!!! they look devine…….I’m sooooo gonna try these in 2 weeks!!!! They will be my first baking treat….I love that you used coconut flour….I bought the stuff, haven’t used it cuz not many blends call for it! I also loved you used the gum…..again, I stalked the pantry full of sugar free gluten free guilt free baking supplies, and then got stuck and intimidated cuz a batch of muffins I tried turned out nasty, and as you know I hate to fail, so that was it…..haven’t tried another muffin recipe….so I will gladly try, a Mamma j approved recipe. Your pics are beautiful;)

Thanks for your comment Crystal! We should plan a day to bake GF muffins together…get our lil’ taste testers to approve of our efforts! Once you’re two weeks are up we’ll plan something for sure :)

Oh and P.S. Crystal? Don’t fear the coconut flour (I got mine because of YOU!) It’s amazing and you’ll love it :)

13. I think cream cheese would be a good addition if I went the carrot route. Would definitely perk up the taste.

Carrots and cream cheese just go well together, you’re right Bianca. Classic combo…

15. Oh my, gotta love that cream cheese filling!

Can I have one now? :)

Barbie if I had any left I’d definitely share 😉

17. Elizabeth Q on said:

Oh these look so wonderful ! I can just imagine reaching out and grabbing one right now! Great to bake along with you this week!

Thanks Elizabeth – if I had any left I’d definitely put them within reach :)

19. carolineadobo on said:

WOW I was not expecting for cream cheese to be INSIDE the muffins, that’s so awesome. I used pineapples, too and would have loved it more if I added coconut.

Yes it was a great surprise for everyone to get to the middle and voila – cream cheese!

21. Love, love what you did with this recipe and I was really looking forward to your gluten-free version! I kid you not!

22. Nelly Rodriguez on said:

These muffins look awesome! Great flavors!

Thanks Nelly! They really turned out delicious :) Hope your travels are going well!

Thanks Annapet – I love, love, LOVE your enthusiasm for my gluten-free efforts! You da best :)