Muffin Monday: Zucchini & Sesame Seed Muffins

So here’s what I’m thinking: either Anuradha from Baker Street is gearing up for the mother of all sinful muffins, or she’s at her wits end with how she keeps giving us healthy recipes and we go and load up on calories via decadent frosted tops, indulgent fillings, and whatever other sweet ways we can come up with to sensationalize our muffins.

Guilty as charged.

Whatever the motivations behind choosing this week’s recipe, I must admit to being a tad underwhelmed at first glance. There was nothing particularly exciting about the listed ingredients, plus the ½ tsp of dried mixed herbs called for with these muffins kinda stumped me. Was it supposed to be a savoury muffin? What type of herbs should we use? In the end I took the vagueness as license to interpret as I saw fit.

Knowing that the weekend would hold four dozen cupcakes for an afternoon artists’ show I was hosting, my goal this week was to keep these muffins as simple and healthy as possible. Wanting to keep them gluten-free, I headed over to Gluten Free Goddess for some inspiration. I was intrigued by her Maple Sweetened Almond Zucchini Mini-Muffins, which uses a gluten-free flour mix consisting of 2/3 cups almond meal, ½ cup quinoa flakes, ½ cup brown rice flour, and ¼ cup tapioca starch. To this mix you add the usual suspects (2 tsp baking powder and ¾ tsp xanthan gum) as your leavening agent and thickener. Without xanthan gum the batter wouldn’t achieve that same ‘stickiness’ that occurs when gluten is present.

As for the vagueness around mixed herbs, I decided to interpret this as ½ tsp ground ginger, ½ tsp cinnamon and ¼ tsp nutmeg. Got to say I am really curious to see what variations the other Muffin Monday bloggers come up with this week!

The original recipe did not call for any sweetener, but I added ½ cup of maple syrup along with 1 Tbsp vanilla, ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate, and ¼ cup of Kahlua (hey – I said I would try to make it healthy!)

These muffins were perfect, both in taste and texture. The almond meal provided a nice nuttiness, and complimented the chocolate and coffee liqueur. The quinoa flakes not only added extra protein, but also gave the muffins a nice chewy texture similar to oats. The zucchini kept everything nice and moist, and when grated super finely is hardly noticeable (even by a couple of three and five year-olds).

For a copy of the original recipe for Zucchini & Sesame Seed Muffins, please visit Baker Street’s and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

22 comments on “Muffin Monday: Zucchini & Sesame Seed Muffins

1. Food: Je t'Aimee on said:

Ha! Great minds DO think alike! God forbid we ever end up in the same kitchen… the caloric trouble we’d cause! I absolutely love your additions of Kahlua and maple syrup. These must have been absolutely sinful. Mmmm.

2. Kate @ FoodBabbles on said:

Love your spin on these zucchini muffins! You and I were on the same wavelength with the addition of chocolate :) Yum!

3. Bianca on said:

Something about your post gives it this rustic ambiance. It’s a good thing. I can’t place it but I feel like it’s a country kitchen. I’m laughing each time one of you says that the zucchini’s were hardly noticeable & your kids ate the muffins. My husband wouldn’t even let me bake this cuz I mentioned the Z word!

4. Carrie @ poet in the on said:

My, oh, my, you sure know how to turn that into a sweet treat! Kahlua, too?! Awesome. I was underwhelmed at first, too. I should have let me creative juices flow more. Nice job!

Thanks Carrie – the Kahlua was perfect 😉

Thanks for your lovely comment Bianca! We recently moved and I am in love with my new kitchen. Perfect for food photography too. Perhaps one day your hubby will let you mention (and cook!) with the Z word :)

Kate you definitely cannot go wrong with pairing chocolate and zucchini!

Oh my goodness the caloric trouble would so be worth it if we ever cooked together Aimee! Can you imagine all the deliciousness?!?! Mmmmm…

9. Barbie on said:

The first thing I noticed were your amazing photos. Good job! 😀 and yes, everything is better with chocolate 😉

Kahlua and maple syrup!! Love it! Both great additions!

11. Nastassia on said:

almond meal and maple syrup sound like good ways to make these muffins exciting! i bet they were delicious!

12. carolineadobo on said:

Whoa Kahlua and chocolate chips! Along with almond meal & quinoa to keep it balanced. 😉 Glad you made them sweet.

13. Sally - My Custard P on said:

I love your adaptation…mmm…thanks for sharing the thought process. Great blog theme too.

14. Yuri - Chef Pandita on said:

I’m amazed at this week’s muffin variations :) I have clients who are on gluten-free diets so I’m always looking for gf recipes. These muffins look delicious!!

Yes Barbie – chocolate DOES make everything better :)

The combo of Kahlua and maple syrup was quite magical!

Thanks Nastassia – the almond meal really gave these muffins such a great flavour and lovely, nutty texture. I hadn’t baked with this particular type of flour before but I am now hooked!

Indeed Caroline – all about balance 😉

Thanks Sally – glad you like the site!

Yuri – isn’t it amazing?! The variety of muffins all from one recipe is amazing. Love it :)

21. These muffins freeze well and can also be baked in mini muffin pans for a special touch. I topped the muffins with sliced almonds and then flaked coconut about half-way through baking time so it wouldnt get too brown. The muffins dont have a complex flavor but were well received by the family nonetheless.

Mmmm…coconut paired with almond would be great in these muffins!