Muffin Monday: Orange Date Muffins

This week’s muffin hails from a recipe by Gail Sher, which can be found in her cookbook From a Baker’s Kitchen. It is a simple, straightforward recipe that is bound to delight bakers and eaters alike. Quick? Easy? Tasty? That’s how we like to start our mornings around these parts.

While I did make these muffins gluten-free, I have to be honest and say this was the first week that I missed using wheat flour. A lot. The reason could be that I’ve made a similar version of this recipe in the past using all-purpose flour, and for some reason my gluten-free results just weren’t the same. Something was missing. I used a combination of brown rice flour (150g), coconut flour (100g), cornstarch (60g) and xantham gum (1 tsp). Looking back I should have maybe skipped the coconut flour and used almond or oat flour instead, as I think the combination and flavour of the coconut – although subtle – was just too strange for this recipe. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

I liked how the muffins weren’t overly sweet. The combination of sugary, chewy dates with the bright citrus from the orange went well together. The buttermilk added a complimentary tang and kept the muffins nice and moist. I enjoyed the crunch of nuts, although I did end up using pecans instead of walnuts and felt that their more mellow flavour paired nicely with the rest of the ingredients. And while I skipped the cinnamon sugar topping, I did make a cream cheese spread (combination of chai spices, maple syrup and cream cheese). Aimée White from Food: Je T’Aimée – I know you are laughing right now as we recently agreed how cream cheese tastes bests on practically everything!

Along with the 1/3 cup orange juice called for in the recipe, I took a whole orange and processed it – pulp, peel and flesh – and added it to the batter. This is something I learned to do from a Gale Gand recipe and I highly recommend doing the same. It heightens the burst of citrus flavour, and rather than becoming bitter the peel actually ends up tasting like candied orange peel. Delicious.

For a copy of the original recipe for Orange Date Muffins, please visit Baker Street’s and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

15 comments on “Muffin Monday: Orange Date Muffins

1. Annapet on said:

I like using the whole orange idea, too! I must admit, since I have discovered gluten-free makes my body feel better, I have been even more so looking forward to your posts. The rice brown flour mixed with another was not a winner here either. This made me go back to Bob’s AP GF Flour.

Thanks for sharing! Cheers to cream cheese! I cannot agree more!

cream cheese does work wonders with anything! if i had my way, i would do a series of cream cheese muffins but i restrain and control myself from doing that. lol.

the muffins look fabulous. gluten free was a great choice!

3. Nastassia on said:

I love the combination of flours you used, i’ve never even heard of coconut flour but now I’m curious to give it a try. I also use a cream cheese based spread added a little mascarpone and honey added a nice tangy sweetness to these muffins. happy muffin monday!

4. elena @3greenonions on said:

that cheese spread looks delish! yet another cream cheese fanatic here:) great tip on the whole orange!

Yay! Another member of the cream cheese fanatic club :) Thanks for your comment Elena!

Oh yum! Nastassia the combo of mascarpone and honey with cream cheese sounds delicious! Great idea :)

Oh wow An – I would TOTALLY support a series of cream cheese muffins :)

Annapet isn’t it amazing how much better your body feels minus the gluten? I find I have more energy and skip that whole bloated post wheat feeling. Maybe it was the brown rice mixture that didn’t cut it this time around? I’ve heard that Bob’s AP GF Flour mix is good…Thanks for your comment!

9. Food: Je t'Aimee on said:

Ha ha ha!!! I am officially outed as cream cheese fanatic! As a matter of fact, I DID laugh when I saw your thumbnail on An’s page and was completely envious for not using a spread on mine. Cream cheese (with chai spices?! Heaven.) would be absolutely brilliant with these muffins.

Love the tip about using the whole orange! I don’t have a processesor (yet!), but I’ll certainly try this in the future.

I knew you’d laugh Aimee! Sorry to have outed you as a cream cheese fanatic but judging by some of the other comments we are not alone 😉

11. I really liked the idea of processing the whole orange. I think it would make it sweeter! Thanks for the tip! Also I like your muffins. They look unique.

12. carolineadobo on said:

What a great idea using a whole orange, would love to try this now. Oh, and the chai-spiced cream cheese frosting sounds delicious.

Thanks Caroline – the cream cheese was delicious!

14. they look lovely but they wouldnt have been gluten free if u would have added the oats flour right?

happy muffin monday 😀

Thanks for your comment Monika! I’m glad you raised the issue of oats because historically they have been often and frequently debated within the gluten-free community. Many people who need to avoid gluten stay away from oats because most are processed in factories where gluten is present. However, there are now many brands of oats and oat flours that are being processed in completely gluten-free facilities making it safe.