Muffin Monday: Citrus Coconut Muffins

Let the experimenting begin!

As soon as I heard we were tasked with making Citrus Coconut Muffins this week, I knew I would love these muffins. Citrus. Coconut. You just can’t go wrong.

Inspired by Nastassia from Let Me Eat Cake’s post from last week, I copied her idea of using a pancake mix in place of regular flour. I ended up using a gluten-free pancake mix, hoping the results would be light and spongy.

Wanting my muffins to rise as much as possible without resorting to gluten, I added 1 ½ tsp baking powder along with an extra egg. I also opted for brown sugar instead of granulated, a pinch of salt, 1 ½ tsp vanilla, doubled up on the amount of coconut, ½ tsp coconut extract, and added ¾ cup coconut milk as the main liquid.

Unfortunately the lack of gluten in this particular pancake mix resulted in the most crumbly muffins ever baked on this planet. Seriously! The texture was almost comical. Even my five year-old commented that “the muffins are kinda crazy Mom”. Touché. They did rise beautifully…all except one. Kudos to the person that is able to explain that mystery! Same batter, equal scoops.

“…one of these things is not like the others; one of these things just doesn’t belong…”

NOTE: the pancakes we made from this same mix ended up just as crumbly, so I am totally pointing my finger in that direction as far as pegging culprits is concerned!

Crumbs aside, the muffins tasted fantastic. The citrus and coconut paired beautifully together (no real surprise), and the brown sugar gave these muffins the best, crunchiest top that was chewy and crispy all at the same time. The coconut milk and extract really helped to dial up the coconut flavour, making these muffins an overall lovely start to the day.

For a copy of the original recipe for Citrus Coconut Muffins, please visit Baker Street’s site and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

18 comments on “Muffin Monday: Citrus Coconut Muffins

Pancake mix, brown sugar and coconut milk are all excellent substitutions! I have to try out the pancake mix next time i bake these

Yes I’m interested in trying a regular gluten pancake mix…the texture would be better I think. Thanks for your comment An 😉

3. Bianca SBRantsnRaves on said:

Just asked my hubs who is the son of Betty Crocker to explain the lack of rise on one muffin & he couldn’t. Just put some streusel on it & you’ll be set! I’m glad they tasted good. Skipped out on this one.

Wow…guess it will just have to remain a mystery Bianca! It’s almost as if that one scoop didn’t get any baking soda or something…so odd! Hope you can join us next week – did you get the chocolate hint?!?! Can’t wait :)

5. elena @3greenonions on said:

I love that tiny little muffin! I hope you gave it the love it deserved:) I didn’t manage to bake this week, but I’ll have to catch up next week! the chocolate hint intrigued me:)

6. Food: Je t'Aimee on said:

Ha! ‘Crazy’ muffins! Cute. LOVE that picture of your little one snagging a muffin. How sweet is that? A great moment captured. She’s adorable.

Taste is the most important thing anyway, and these sound like they tasted divine! Love all your creative substitutions – especially the coconut milk! SO strange about that little one that didn’t rise.

Happy to be baking along with you again this week :)

7. Carrie @ poet in the on said:

That’s really funny about the one muffin that didn’t rise like the rest! I love how you’re willing to experiment, even if it didn’t turn out the way you expected. They still look delicious!

Thanks Carrie! The little one actually turned out to be my favourite (ugly duckling and all)…it was fun :)

Aimee you are right! I would waaaaaay rather have a tasty/ugly muffin than a pretty/disgusting one any day :) Good to bake with you too!

Elena we actually ended up fighting over who got to eat the little muffin 😉 Hope to bake with you next week…bring on the chocolate!

11. Nastassia on said:

aww sorry the pancake mix didn’t work out :( at least they still tasted great! happy muffin monday!

12. carolineadobo on said:

I am laughing while I read about the little (ugly duckling) muffin and how funny that this was the favorite and was fought over. Judging a book by it’s cover comes to mind :) Love your description about the crunchy, chewy crispy muffin tops, that would make me bake these again.

Nastassia – I love the idea of the pancake mix and want to try again but with a gluten variety. Have a feeling the GF types are just too crumbly. At least they tasted good. Tasted great actually!

LOL – thanks Caroline! And yes…mmm…those crispy chewy muffins tops were da bomb 😉

15. Princess Polkadot on said:

Hmmm, pancake mix? I hadn’t thought of that. Though my pancake mix is homemade, too, so I’m not sure it would make a big difference. 😀

I’m also interested to see someone who recently moved from blogspot to your own domain. I’ve been thinking about doing the same and wondered how it went?

Thanks for your comment! I found the move from blogspot to my own domain (via wordpress) was easy and I absolutely LOVE working in wordpress compared to blogger. Also like having my own domain (hosted by modwest). Hope that helps :)

17. Yuri - Chef Pandita on said:

“crazy muffins” lol your kid is so funny! Very intrigued about the muffin that didn’t rise 😮

Thanks Yuri! Even Betty Crocker’s son couldn’t figure it out 😉