Muffin Monday: Chocolate Brownie Muffins

Chocolate Brownie Muffins?! You had me at ‘chocolate’. Then sealed the deal with ‘brownie’. And won my heart with ‘Nutella’ as a listed ingredient. There would be no resistance to such a scrumptious sounding recipe – not in this household.

Instead of regular chocolate chips, I opted to use mint chocolate chips as I figured it would be a great flavour combination for this muffin. Other than this change, I have to admit that I stuck to the recipe. It sounded pretty near perfect so I was excited to taste the results. With the addition of sour cream and Nutella I figured it would be rich and moist and oh so lovely.

Not the case.

I am a little puzzled why my muffins turned out to be dry and disappointing. I did opt to make mini muffins fearing regular sized versions of such a decadent treat would be too intense. I did over bake the first batch but even my second attempt – while definitely better – were still rather sawdusty. Not sure what went wrong but I’m interested to see how the other Muffin Monday bloggers made out with this recipe.

Perhaps a generous dollop of Nutella in the middle would have increased the extravagantness of these muffins. Or a nice ganache spread on top. In the end I gave up on the idea of a third attempt and instead went and made another batch of last week’s Bread Pudding Muffins. Mmm…they were just as good as I remembered!

For a copy of the original recipe for Chocolate Brownie Muffins, please visit Baker Street’s site and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

18 comments on “Muffin Monday: Chocolate Brownie Muffins

1. valerie on said:

Loooove this muffins a lot!! And I also love your last picture! Your muffins went out perfectly!

2. Anita Menon on said:

Oh I am sorry yours turned out dry. I was disappointed with my Rocky Road Muffins a Monday ago.

These brownie muffins turned out wonderfully well for me. I guess, that is the thing about baking, sometimes, even when everything is just perfect, the output might end up surprising us.

3. Bianca SBRantsnRaves on said:

I’m sorry your muffins didn’t turn out how you wanted. I understand the frustration :( I hope next week comes out better!

4. Food: Je t'Aimee on said:

Oh no! I’m so sorry you were disappointed! I wonder what happened? I love your idea to use mint chips… it all sounds perfect to me. There’s nothing I don’t like about the sounds of a ‘generous dollop of Nutella’ though 😉 Next time!

5. Laurie on said:

Well, they sure look pretty; shiny like a brownie. Hhhhhmmmm….

Your muffins have this deep red color! And that’s gorgeous!

Thanks Valerie! They might not have tasted good but at least they looked pretty :)

Yes that’s true Anita – you never know with baking sometimes. Ingredients could have been old, oven temperature off, any number of variables I guess :( Hopefully next week I’ll have better results!

Thanks Bianca…I hope next week turns out better for me. But sounds like everyone else had HUGE successes with this recipe so I just might have to give it another try…third time lucky?!

Thanks Aimee! At least I was able to whip up another batch of those Bread Pudding Muffins to sooth my pain 😉

Thanks Laurie! They do look rather delicious in the photo…not sure what I did wrong?

An – I think it was the cocoa powder I used. It had this deep, almost amber glow. Funny, eh?!

13. Let Me Eat Cake on said:

i love the idea of mint chips in these sounds like a great addition!

Thanks…the mint and chocolate combo was fantastic. Can’t go wrong!

15. Carrie @ poet in the on said:

I’m sorry the muffins turned out to be disappointing. I do like your idea of Nutella dollops in the middle for next time, though. :) Mmmm…

Yeah it was a bit of a bummer Carrie :( Although I’m definitely tempted to try again with the dollop of Nutella in the middle!

17. Princess Polkadot on said:

Hmmm, I thought maybe it was the gluten-free aspect, but I did add a couple extra tablespoons of milk to get mine into a batter that “looked right.”

Mint chips are a good notion – I might have to try that!

Yes I’m still not sure what went wrong…maybe my flour was old? Anyway. Mint was a GREAT addition – I highly recommend :)