Muffin Monday: Crusty Cheese & Onion Muffins

After nine weeks of sinfully extravagant holiday muffins, it’s time to hide the chocolate and cream cheese. Well…maybe not quite. We’ll have to see what Baker Street has in store for us – you never know! But kicking off a new year of muffins is a savoury recipe from Home Baked, by Australian Womens Weekly.

© 2012 CookThatBook

The recipe for Crusty Cheese & Onion Muffins is unlike any I’ve tried before. Be warned that there are quite a few steps involved and the preparation takes longer than with your typical muffin batter, but the results are well worth the effort! To be honest, I was ready to shake things up a bit in the muffin department.

First up? All-purpose flour and butter are mixed together with a touch of water until the dough can be formed into a ball, which is then placed in the freezer till firm (approximately 30 minutes). Meanwhile, get the frying pan out because we’re gonna sautée us some onions! I added bacon, finely chopped rosemary and some roasted garlic for kicks. The smell was tantalizing.

© 2012 CookThatBook

Once the onion mixture has had a chance to cool, it is mixed with self-raising flour, cheese (I opted for cheddar), chives (I used green onions), an egg, buttermilk (I had to use half and half as I didn’t have any buttermilk), and vegetable oil. The batter is spooned into a greased muffin tray, and topped with an interesting combination of leftover onion mixture, cheese, and the frozen dough from earlier which is grated into the mix.

© 2012 CookThatBook

Fresh out of the oven and slathered with butter, these muffins were incredible. The texture was perfect; super moist with the most delightfully crusty tops. I loved the fragrant punch that came from the rosemary, and the bacon and garlic all took this muffin to the next level. Even though the half and half substitution ended up working well, I could see how using buttermilk would have added a nice tang that would have complimented the muffins well. Next time.

© 2012 CookThatBook

For a copy of the original recipe for Crusty Cheese & Onion Muffins, please visit Baker Street’s site and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

© 2012 CookThatBook

13 comments on “Muffin Monday: Crusty Cheese & Onion Muffins

1. Barbie on said:

Delicious and gorgeous muffins you have here! If only I can take one off my monitor…

Happy to be baking with you today! :)

2. Aimee @ Food, Je t'A on said:

Wonderful! I absolutely love your choices and additions of bacon, rosemary and garlic. They look beautiful, too! I am so bummed I missed out on these ones, and will definitely be making them as soon as I get a chance. I love savoury muffins!

3. Bianca on said:

Definitely gotta think of garlic next time. Sounds a lot like the Red Lobster cheesy bread. Yum! Nice to bake with you again!

4. Kate @ FoodBabbles on said:

Bacon, rosemary and roasted garlic?!? Oh. My. Goodness!!! I will need to make these for sure. Love your spin on this week’s muffin. Happy Monday!

LOL…thanks Barbie! If I could send them through my monitor to you I would :)

We missed you this week Aimee! Be sure to give this recipe a try – you’ll love it! Ohhhh…would be delicious with some herb and garlic cream cheese 😉 Yes I’m obsessed!

It’s always good to bake with you Bianca! Happy Muffin Monday :)

Thanks Kate! I was really happy with how mine turned out. The rosemary added a nice depth of flavour and the bacon – well you can’t go wrong with bacon :)

Ah… Bacon just made these perfect! I’m so glad we baked these. They were a huge hit in my house.

Yes – great minds think alike. At least when it comes to bacon 😉 (saw you added some to your recipe too).

11. Sunchowder - Wendy R on said:

These look really good to me, I used Parm cheese and they didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked. Great choice of ingredients!

Wendy, I’m sorry your muffins didn’t turn out as well as you would have liked. Often when I use parm I find it gets quite bitter and leathery when baked on top of things. The cheddar turned out well.

13. Pingback: CookThatBook » Muffin Monday: Ricotta Dill Muffins