Muffin Monday: Blueberry Muffins

As readers of this blog will know; I kind of have a ‘thing’ for blueberry muffins. As a child I fondly remember making batch after batch of blueberry muffins, but sadly the family recipe has since gone missing and all I have to go on is that it came from Robin Hood Flour and was called Maid Marian’s Muffins. In my mind it was the ultimate muffin – and I was hoping this recipe would replicate the fond memories I had of its blueberry goodness.

Very straightforward and easy, this recipe does not deviate from the norm except it does call for adding a tablespoon of dry ingredients to the blueberries. This is a fantastic trick to ensure your berries don’t bleed into the batter and are evenly distributed. It is a genius move and one that I will definitely use again in the future.

The only change I made to the recipe is that I opted to add the zest of one lemon to the batter. I love the added tang of citrus to my blueberry muffins, and in the past have also been known to dip the muffin tops into a combo of melted butter, sugar and lemon zest. Sinful – purely sinful.

These muffins were simple and pure. It’s a great recipe and I loved how moist they turned out with the addition of plain yogurt. Was it my ultimate blueberry muffin? Not quite – my search continues but in the meantime I highly recommend whipping up a batch of these beauties as it’s the perfect way to start a Monday morning.

For a copy of the original recipe for Blueberry Muffins, please visit Baker Street’s site and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

17 comments on “Muffin Monday: Blueberry Muffins

Your muffins look gorgeous Jasmine! I too added zest and juice of a lemon to the batter.

2. elena @3greenonions on said:

Oh I was eying lemons too thinking to grate up some zest…now I wish I did it! I did mine with raspberries but those blueberries look so tempting…

3. Kate @ FoodBabbles on said:

Love the addition of lemon zest! I bet these muffins tasted so fresh and vibrate with that citrus note. Yum!

Great minds think alike An! Wasn’t the lemon/blueberry combo perfect?! Happy Muffin Monday :)

Oh I bet raspberries and lemon zest would be good together! I have recently become addicted to raspberries in my muffins. Nice choice Elena!

Thanks Kate! The combo of lemon/blueberries worked out great! Dialed up the tang and freshness :)

7. @Mango_Queen on said:

Those blueberries look so inviting, I want to pick one and start eating! Your muffins look even more amazing! Glad to bake along with you this Monday!

8. Annapet on said:

The oils from the zest does kick up this recipe notches! I, too, have a thing for blueberry muffins ;-). Your muffins look fantastic! Happy to bake with you again!

Good to bake with you too! I was nervous the blueberries (so out of season) would taste awful but they were surprisingly good! Expensive – but good 😉

Can’t go wrong with blueberry muffins Annapet! It was great to bake with you this week and thanks for your comments on Twitter!

11. What awesome blueberry muffins!! My favorites and you have taken it even above the tasty level…

THanks! They turned out really well :)

13. Crystal on said:

I really love the funky original ceramic mixing plate that you had there in your fantastic pics;) Really brought the whole recipe blog together…….hee hee hee…….I’m gonna try the coating thing next time……I usually don’t mind a purple muffin, but I also like to try new things…….and BTW I do have the most kickin Blueberry Muffin recipe EVER!!! If you wanna try again……

I know! It’s the ceramic plate amazing?! Photographs so well too. And um yes! Pass along the blueberry muffin recipe my friend…I’ll be waiting with mixing bowl in hand :)

15. Pingback: CookThatBook » Muffin Monday: Cranberry Carrot Muffins

16. I also have been searching for Maid Marion’s blueberry muffin recipe for years!!!

I’d love to get my hands on the recipe! It was the best.