Muffin Monday: Almond Raspberry-Pomegranate Muffins

This week’s recipe comes once again from Women’s Weekly, so get your metric vs. imperial hat on and let’s get baking!

The batter is simple to prepare, and involves dumping all ingredients into a bowl and giving it a stir. Easy peasy. Now the original recipe called for hazelnut meal and plum jam, but I wanted to use some lovely raspberry-pomegranate jam I had in my pantry and figured almond meal would be a better fit with the flavour profile. I also added ½ cup of maple yogurt. I’d been dying to experiment with this flavoured yogurt in a baking recipe rather than just straight into my mouth, and figured this would be a good time. Because I didn’t have any caster (superfine) sugar I used ordinary granulated, but you could grind it briefly in a food processor if you wanted a finer texture.

While these muffins were not as big a hit in our house as some of the more decadent treats we’ve been consuming over the last few weeks, it is a solid muffin recipe that turned out great. The flavour combination of raspberries/pomegranate with the almond meal was delightful, and one that I would definitely pair again. The taste of maple really popped and added a nice depth to the muffins, while also providing an incredible moistness to the texture.

Tip? Be careful when taking the muffins out of the tray in case the jam filling has leaked to the sides and your finger accidentally touches the molten preserve. As I can attest – it hurts. A lot.

Happy Muffin Monday!

For a copy of the original recipe for Hazelnut Plum Muffins, please visit Baker Street’s site and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

14 comments on “Muffin Monday: Almond Raspberry-Pomegranate Muffins

1. Lemon on said:

These muffins look lovely, I especially like the idea of including jam.

Thanks! They turned out well and I love the different possibilities you can create using a variety of jams.

3. Kate @ FoodBabbles on said:

Holy YUM!! LOOOOVE the addition of the raspberry pomegranate jam! That sounds absolutely amazing. I need to find some of that… It must be wonderful on so many things.

You’re right Kate – it really is good on lots of things. I recently tested a recipe for black pepper white chocolate scones and the jam was devine slathered on top with some thick cream. Mmmm :)

5. Kirsten on said:

Oh, my. I like your variation. I am thinking of walnut with apricot preserve. I am sure that would taste great, too.

Thanks Kristen! I love your suggested adaption of apricots and walnuts – that would be fantastic! I love how this recipe can be so easily adapted to suite whatever your flavour mood happens to be :)

7. Food, Je t'Aimee on said:

Always love a good jam-filled muffin, and I adore St. Dalfour’s preserves! Wonderful choices for flavours :)

Jam-filled muffins are great! And yes – flavours worked well :)

we also used the same brand of Jam! What are the chances right?! Heh. Great minds do think alike J! I can imagine how good did the pomegranate tasted.

Ha! I love that we used the same brand of jam An 😉

11. Damn Delicious on said:

That raspberry-pomegranate jam sounds divine! So much better than the strawberry jam I used.

12. Mindy on said:

Thanks for this! I just made some fabulous spelt-oat blueberry muffins on the weekend and am always on the hunt for more lovely muffin recipes.

The flavour combo of raspberry & pomegranate turned out well…but strawberry is such a true classic!

Thanks Mindy! While I’ve tried many wheat-free flours I have never experimented with spelt. I’m sure the spelt and oat combo must have been great!