Muffin Monday: Coffee Break Muffins

Written & photographed by
Stay-At-Home-Chef

The last week has been a crazy whirlwind for me, to the point where I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to squeeze in Muffin Monday. But as soon as I saw the recipe was from Dorie Greenspan my mind was made up. These muffins? No matter what happened they were gonna get made. You see, Dorie happens to be one of my culinary heros and there was no way I would be missing out on one of her muffin recipes.

© 2012 CookThatBook

The recipe itself is simple and straightforward, nothing out of the ordinary in terms of mixing the usual wet and dry ingredients. However, in order to ramp up the coffee aspect of these Coffee Break Muffins both espresso powder and freshly brewed coffee were added to the batter. Because coffee is the only liquid ingredient called for in the recipe, the level of flavour boost this gave the muffins was incredible!

© 2012 CookThatBook

Rich, moist and full of the lovely taste of coffee, these muffins are perfect in every way. Because of my high level of trust in Dorie’s recipes, I did not end up making any changes. The only thing I did add was a mint chocolate covered espresso bean on top of each muffin.

© 2012 CookThatBook

Coffee is revered in our house, and these muffins are the perfect start to the day. Trust me – after popping a couple of these in your mouth you’ll be buzzing around productively in no time!

© 2012 CookThatBook

For a copy of the original recipe for Coffee Break Muffins, please visit Baker Street’s site and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

12 comments on “Muffin Monday: Coffee Break Muffins

1. Damn Delicious on said:

I absolutely loved these muffins. Might be my favorite muffin Monday yet! And your pictures are gorgeous. I love that you added a mint chocolate covered espresso bean. Yum!

Isn’t this recipe great?! Definitely one of my new favourites. Loved the intense coffee flavour, and they were so moist!

These muffins were a big hit at my house. Like the mint flavored bean you added on top.

4. Let Me Eat Cake on said:

love the espresso bean on top! these muffins really needed no additions so perfect in their simplicity!

Thanks – the espresso bean was a nice additional boost of caffeine :)

The recipe is definitely a keeper! Not often I don’t change a thing with our muffin recipes but when it comes to Dorie I’m a believer :)

7. I’ll definitely have to try these–love coffee anything!

Diane – these are the first coffee muffins I’ve made where the flavour really shines. You’ll love them!

9. Kate @ FoodBabbles on said:

Your muffins are simply beautiful! I unfortunately, came to find at the last minute that I didn’t have espresso powder or coffee which are two household staples for us so now I desperately need to revisit this recipe and make it the right way :) They sound delicious!

Kate – it was a GREAT way to get my morning caffeine hit :)

11. elena @3greenonions on said:

These were amazing…:) i wont be able to bake this monday but am tempted to make another batch of these! A mint chocolate covered espresso bean! give me!

Yes I loved this recipe Elena! Unfortunately I didn’t get an opportunity to bake this week either, but the Rice Pudding Muffins sure sound interesting!