Muffin Monday: Raspberry Coconut Muffins

Written & photographed by
Stay-At-Home-Chef

After eight months of Muffin Mondays I have to admit that the calories are starting to pile up (and in less than desirable areas I might add). So when I saw that this week’s recipe from Taste of Home was a low-fat alternative to all of the glorious decadence we’ve been enjoying of late, I was relieved. Don’t get me wrong – I have adored the muffins of late but my waistline needs a break!

© 2012 CookThatBook

The original recipe calls for strawberries combined with plain yogurt, nutmeg and vanilla. In order to avoid a trip to the store, I opted to use some freeze-dried raspberries I had in the pantry. I also threw in ½ cup of coconut, replaced half of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat, and used agave nectar rather than granulated sugar.

© 2012 CookThatBook

In the end I would have to say that these muffins turned out well and were incredibly moist due to the yogurt, but they did nothing to knock my socks off. However, if you’re looking for a quick and healthy treat to start your day then this recipe could be your answer.
© 2012 CookThatBook

I liked the flavour combination of raspberries and coconut, and the whole-wheat flour lent a nice nutty texture to the muffins. The agave nectar worked well as a sugar replacement, and is something I’ll definitely be using more often in the future. While nothing freeze-dried can ever replace lovely fresh fruit, I liked how the raspberries became hydrated and held their shape without turning to mush. Plus there was no issue with the fruit running into the batter and causing the muffins to become discoloured.

© 2012 CookThatBook

Look – even the Easter bunny had to have a nibble!

© 2012 CookThatBook

For a copy of the original recipe for this week’s Muffin Monday, please visit Baker Street’s site and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

10 comments on “Muffin Monday: Raspberry Coconut Muffins

1. Kate @ FoodBabbles on said:

Love the raspberries and coconut together! Great idea.

Thanks Kate! I’m rather fond of the flavour combo :)

3. Let Me Eat Cake on said:

i like your combination of raspberry and coconut. i’ve never tried the two together but definitely love each of them. I’m also intried to try baking with agave so will have to sub it out for sugar next time i bake

4. Damn Delicious on said:

Love your healthy adaptions to this recipe! I’m sure the melding of raspberries and coconut went very well together.

5. Meena Thennaapan on said:

I would never have thought of adding coconut in.
    Lovely combination

Definitely recommend trying agave nectar – worked really well. You still get the same level of sweetness but without the guilt! I’ve found you can use the same quantities which keeps things nice and simple.

Thanks! Yes the coconut and raspberries paired really well :)

Thanks for your comment Meena! The muffins were a nice, healthy way to start my day :)

9. Food, Je t'Aimee on said:

Nice choices, Jasmine! It’s true that sometimes we need a little break in the caloric baked good department. Never thought to use freeze-dried berries, but you made a great case for them, so will definitely give it a try in the future!

Thanks Aimee! It was fun experimenting with the freeze-dried berries :)