Muffin Monday: Ricotta Dill Muffins

Written & photographed by
Stay-At-Home-Chef

Some of my favourite recipes from Muffin Monday have been savoury. Remember the Crusty Cheese & Onion Muffins? How about those Spinach Feta Muffins? Yum. So when I saw that An from Baker Street had chosen a savoury recipe for this week’s muffin, I was excited. It has been a while since we tackled the savoury side of muffins.

© 2012 CookThatBook

© 2012 CookThatBook

The recipe for this week’s muffin was scribbled on a piece of paper that An happened to come across, the original source unknown. Originally dried basil was called for in the recipe, but I decided to use fresh dill. I also added an extra egg, and threw in some sautéed onions, garlic and zucchini. What I love about this recipe is the unlimited flavour possibilities. Feel free to switch up the herbs, try a variety of ‘goodies’ (cheddar cheese, bacon, shredded hash browns, feta, spinach, roasted garlic etc.)

© 2012 CookThatBook

© 2012 CookThatBook

These muffins were a nice change from the usual sweet treats we’ve been making. The texture was lovely and eggy, the ricotta resulted in a nice moist texture, and the subtle flavour of the dill was perfectly balanced with the caramelized taste of the veggies. I think next time I would throw in some cheese (feta would be nice) to give the muffins some added saltiness.

For a copy of this recipe please click here

Happy Muffin Monday!

© 2012 CookThatBook

For a copy of the original recipe for this week’s Muffin Monday, please visit Baker Street’s site and be sure to check out what the other food bloggers have baked up this week!

13 comments on “Muffin Monday: Ricotta Dill Muffins

I love love love your pictures JB! They look absolutely fantastic! I can imagine dill would have been a lovely addition.

2. elena @3greenonions on said:

Mmm…dill…my fave herb ever!! I use it in everything:) couldn’t bake this Monday but when I do make this, you can bet there’ll be dill:)

3. Annapet on said:

They are gorgeous,Jasmine! I am starting to like dill, and I think these muffins I will definitely enjoy.

Thanks An – glad you like the pictures! And yes the dill was lovely :) Nice to have a savoury muffin!

Yes – I could pretty much put dill in everything too Elena! And in these muffins the herb was delicious :)

Thanks Annapet! Dill can be an acquired taste but in these muffins it was fantastic :)

7. Yummy inspiration!

Thanks Diane – they turned out well :)

9. Food, Je t'Aimee on said:

Dill! Awesome twist on these muffins. I could have shared some of the extra salt in mine with yours 😉 I also loved how adaptable these muffins were: so many possibilities!

Hahaha – I would have gladly taken some of your salt Aimee :) Good to bake with you again!

11. Im new to pinterest and am having difficulty getting this recipe, it sounds fabulous, help??

12. Cancel that!!! Have found the recipe!!!

Thanks for your comment Deb! I’m so sorry – the recipe is kind of confusing to find (especially with all of the substitutions I ended up making for my version). I’ve posted the recipe exactly as I made it for this challenge. Hope this helps! And if you end up making these muffins please drop me a line to let me know how they turned out! Recipe for Ricotta Dill Muffins: http://www.cookthatbook.com/recipes/stay-at-home-chefs-ricotta-dill-muffins/