Monthly Miettes: Buttermilk Panna Cotta

Written & photographed by
Stay-At-Home-Chef

After making the labour intensive (but oh so satisfying!) Tomboy Cake and challenging (but to die for good!) Lime Meringue Tarts, I was glad that Aimée White of Food: Je t’Aimée assigned a simple Panna Cotta for this month. The recipe itself contains a mere five ingredients (plus the garnish of your choice) and comes together quickly and easily. Honestly, the hardest part is letting it sit overnight before you dive in and enjoy! I have to admit to continuously peaking in the fridge throughout the day to see if they had already set, but it did indeed take overnight for them to become firm.

© 2012 CookThatBook

Panna Cotta is a classic Italian dessert, basically an eggless custard which translated means “cooked cream”. It literally takes five minutes to make, and the light, fresh texture and taste makes it the perfect dessert to serve in the summer. As far as entertaining goes, I have a feeling this might become my new favourite! You can make it ahead up to three days, storing in the refrigerator well covered and garnished just before serving.

© 2012 CookThatBook

For this recipe test I used 1 tsp of Vanilla Paste, an easy way of incorporating the intense flavour from a bean but in liquid format. Topped with fresh strawberries, the tang from the buttermilk made beautiful music together with the heavy cream and left your palate feeling refreshed. It truly is an effortless dessert. My only qualm was that the texture turned out much too runny for my liking (think gelatin soup). So I whipped up another batch but this time added more gelatin. The consistency was better, but still too runny. The trick with panna cotta is adding the correct amount of gelatin: too much and it turns out elastic, too little and it’s runny. However after two tries I decided not to experiment further with increasing gelatin until I hit the sweet spot. I expect a recipe to do the work for me.

© 2012 CookThatBook

I’m definitely going to be making Panna Cotta again, but not this recipe. Perhaps next time I’ll add some white chocolate into the mix and top with stewed fresh cherries. Deb over at East of Eden Cooking is daydreaming about infusing the cream with mint and topping with fresh raspberries and shaved chocolate. The possibilities are endless…

© 2012 CookThatBook

Do you have a favourite summer dessert? What flavours are you most excited to incorporate into your baking now that summer is fast approaching?

For more information on Monthly Miettes or if you’re interested in participating, please visit Food: Je t’Aimée

11 comments on “Monthly Miettes: Buttermilk Panna Cotta

1. Oh my! Love the plan for white chocolate and cherries. The brilliant red cherries with the creamy Panna Cotta sounds magnificent. My Panna Cotta was not firm, but a creamy pudding like consistency. I thought it was perfect for spooning with berries. A scoop of the spoon enveloped the berries and then it was gone!

Hmmm…it’s interesting because some recipes call for dumping the panna cotta out of the dish (obviously firmer in texture) but I think I’d prefer mine more like pudding. But not soup!

3. LinsFood on said:

Hi Jasmine, thanks for stopping by my site! Glad I got around to joining you guys this month! I agree with your plan for stewed fruit, I have yet to come across a better topping! It’s interesting that you describe it as eggless custard because that’s exactly how my girls who have an egg allergy, have it.
    Can’t wait to see what Aimee wants to do next month!

I’m excited for next month too! Thanks for your comment :)

5. Food, Je t'Aimee on said:

The very words “vanilla paste” make me weak in the knees! Wonderful choices, and good call on the extra gelatin, even if it didn’t turn out as firm as you would have liked. Gelatin is not something I work with often, so kudos for being brave enough to double up. I hope you find the perfect recipe soon!

Thanks for joining me again this month, Jasmine! Now what to scheme up for June? :)

Aimee – you NEED to get some Vanilla Paste. It will rock your world and change your baking forever! Can’t wait for next month’s challenge :)

7. Athena on said:

I think Jinggy over at Me-ette had somewhat similar issues with the texture. My panna cotta wasn’t firm either, but like Deb’s — creamy, pudding-like. I enjoyed it two mornings in a row :). That vanilla paste might be something I need to get my hands on!

8. Kate | FoodBabbles on said:

White chocolate and stewed cherries sound amazing! But these darling panna cotta topped with simple strawberries look like perfection. After learning about Monthly Miettes here on your site, I’m so excited to be joining you all next month! Hoping I don’t screw it up since my track record with macarons is a little “if-y” :)

Thanks Kate! And I am so excited to hear you’ll be joining us next month :) I’ve NEVER tried making macrons although I love to consume them way to often. I hope they turn out (but at the same time I don’t…at least for the sake of my waistline!)

I agree Athena – they taste so good! I was reading online that in North America we expect our panna cotta to be too firm, but that they should still be solid enough to stand alone when taken out of the mould. A little jiggle is good :)

11. Pingback: #MonthlyMiettes – May Round-Up – Buttermilk Panna Cotta | Food: Je t'Aimée